How can I soothe painfully plugged ducts?
Not to worry, here’s plan of attack to ease your pain and get you back to feeling great:
- Use a warm compress (either a warm washcloth or heat pack) over the affected breast area for 5-10 minutes before feeding or pumping.
- Massage the area gently – use olive or coconut oil on your fingertips to help them glide over skin.
- You should massage toward the axilla (armpit) area gently, as well as occasionally massaging toward the nipple area.
- Nurse well and nurse often. Don’t allow long periods of time between feeding or pumping, and massage gently while nursing or pumping.
- If the pain does not resolve within 48-72 hours, call your lactation consultant or doctor for additional help.
Are plugged ducts still causing you pain and discomfort? Become a member and one of the healthcare professionals on our team can provide personalized care just for you.