What do I need to know to start nursing?
Congratulations! You and your baby are ready to start your breastfeeding adventure. Believe it or not, getting started requires very little. We suggest:
- A comfortable bra that is soft and easy to open for nursing
- A relaxing place to breastfeed in your home
- A nursing pillow of your choice
- A natural nipple cream or nipple butter to soothe your nipples after nursing
- Soothing gel pads and washable or paper nursing pads.
Now you’re all set to start breastfeeding.
How to Wake a Sleeping Baby:
Sometimes your baby will be sleepy and hard to wake up. They may even fall asleep while feeding. Here are some helpful tips for waking your baby up:
- Undress your baby or change their diaper
- Hold your baby against your bare skin and breast
- Squeeze some drops of breast milk onto your baby’s lips
Helpful Tips for Successful Breastfeeding:
- Before feeding, it may help to hold a warm washcloth on your breast. Gently massaging your breast may also stimulate the release of your milk.
- If your breasts are over full (engorgement), you may want to hand-express enough milk to make it easier for baby to begin sucking. Support your breast with your hand in a “U” shape below the breast with fingers behind the areola.
- Bring your baby’s body close to yours making sure that they do not have to reach or turn to latch onto your nipple.
- To provide extra support for large breasts, tuck a small pillow or Titsie Roll underneath.
Still looking for more breastfeeding support? Become a member and our lactation consultants can provide personalized strategies for successful breastfeeding.