How can I tell if my baby is hungry?
Keeping your baby close to you will help you learn to recognize their hunger cues. When your baby is hungry you may notice:
- More movement such as stretching, looking around and moving their hands toward the mouth
- Your baby may make lip-smacking noises, suck on fingers and hands, or lick his or her lips
- Your baby may turn their head and open their mouth in search of your nipple
- Fun fact: This is known as the “rooting reflex” and is nature’s way of helping babies find the source of nutrition
- Your baby may begin crying
Learning to recognize the signs of hunger earlier can help you keep your baby calm and well-fed.
Worried your baby isn’t getting enough to eat? Become a member and talk to our team of healthcare professionals today.